New Chums

16 June 2011

Today we took one of Coromandel's magic trips.

New Chums Beach is somewhere you want to keep secret, but at the same time want to share with the whole world.

It is a quintessential east cost beach, but with a difference. You can't drive there. You can't buy an ice cream or an espresso. In fact there aren't even any houses.

Whangapoua

To get to New Chums, first you have to drive to Whangapoua. Finding where to go from there is a bit challenging - there are no signs. Even if you've checked it all out on the Internet first, drop into the Whangapoua store for directions. It's worth it just for the storekeeper's reaction. To paraphrase:

"Directions to New Chums? Of course you wouldn't be coming in to buy something. I love living here, but that's the one thing that would make me sell up. You're the 25th person today to come in and ask how to get there. It would help if the hairy-armpit brigade would let us put up signs, but they want to keep it to themselves. It doesn't matter how many maps I put up in the window, you all still walk straight past and ask me for directions. Even when I'm out riding people flag me down to ask how to get there. Just drive to the end of the road and follow the hundreds of others heading to New Chums."

Actually, we saw eight other people there, but I digress.

It is a bit of a scramble to get to New Chums Beach, but such a beautiful sight at the end. Wade the stream, hop some rocks, follow a track and cross the headland. Then you'll be in paradise.

He's going to be so impressed when he finds out there are a couple
of beers in that pack I gave him to carry.

First glimpse of New Chums.

Stunning.

A couple of our fellow adventurers.
  
The return view of Whangapoua.


5 comments:

  1. It does look stunning - never been there, will maybe try getting there when I next visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is terrible, that as a semi 'local' that I have never been there! Your pics are great - I feel inspired. A visit might happen soon!

    Cheers Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a stunning office to be working from.

    Sian

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have been to Whangapoua many, many times but never to New Chums! Maybe next summer we will make the trip.
    I wonder if you talked to our mate 'Ferry' at the Store? He's been a mate of Stew's for years and years... short, balding, rather large... ???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That looks beautiful. I'm only slightly jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete